Welcome to the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Orange County Younger Member Forum (OC YMF). Here you will experience the passion of our members through our programs and events. I welcome you by sharing a bit about our board, our 2021 goals, a few programs you might be interested in and by extending an invitation for you to join our monthly board meetings every 3rd Wednesday of the month at 6pm via Zoom.
I grew up locally in Garden Grove and now enjoy my days in Huntington Beach. I’m a Cal Poly Pomona grad as of 2015 and I spent most of my college career “free time” in the Concrete Canoe Lab. Post graduation, I landed my first job with KPFF and now work at LPA. I have continued my ASCE involvement from Cal Poly Pomona’s Student Chapter to YMF, Branch and beyond. I have served on the OC YMF Board as the Mentorship Program Chair, Programs Chair, Coast, Oceans, Ports and Rivers Institute (COPRI) Liaison and was elected to serve as President-Elect in 2019. I have been a member of the OC Branch Professional Development Committee for the past three years, the Construction Institute Committee for the past two years and additionally served a one-year term on the 2018 ASCE National Convention Technical Program Subcommittee.
About Our ASCE OC YMF Board:
Accompanying me this year on our Executive Board are:
- Secretary Esmeralda Briseño, a Project Engineer in the Programs & Construction Management Group at Jacobs
- Treasurer Victor Aguirre, a Project Engineer in the Urban Development & Water Resources Department at Huitt-Zollars
- President-Elect Ashlyn Alexander, a Road and Highway Engineer at Parsons
- Past-President Jazzy Quinabo Principe, a Project Engineer in the Programs & Construction Management Group at Jacobs
Our YMF thrives off the passion and collaboration of our Board Members and their committees. We have 15 admirable committees that I invite you to explore here on our website. Overall, we have 40 active members in OC YMF, and we would not have the reputation that we do without each of them. ASCE OC has been resilient during these unprecedented times and we will continue to push forward. We have evolved into a completely virtual organization in a short period of time while continuing to improve on the foundation we have already built. I am constantly inspired by my peers as we create educational and motivational events and programs for the engineering industry that foster our continued successes. As we move into 2021, we have a few goals we are hoping to accomplish.
2020 - 2021 Goals:
- Reveal New OC YMF Logos
- Check out our new logos at the bottom of this message!
- Establish YMF Institute Liaisons to complement the OC Branch Technical Institutes
- This initiative is to provide additional technical content and value to our members.
- Broaden our Onboarding Seminar to educate our new Board Members twice a year
- Our Onboarding Seminar educates our members on logistics and processes within YMF in addition to various platforms such as Eventbrite, Canva and Zoom. We have new Board Members joining our team throughout the year so hosting an additional Onboarding Seminar mid-year will help create a seamless transition.
- Develop a Community College Outreach Task Force
- We do a great job with our K-12 and University Outreach efforts and believe there is the potential to help guide community college students into engineering.
- Host our first ever (virtual) Women in Construction Week
- Women in Construction Week is celebrated annually during the first full week of March. This week brings together men and women to share their stories and shine light on the opportunities available for women in the construction industry. The WIC Week Committee has created a fantastic week of engaging events and speakers! If you are interested in attending or learning more about company sponsorships please reach out to WIC2021@ymf-oc.org.
- Expand New Member Engagement
- Conceptualize our pilot program: ASCE OC Design Challenge
We are looking to continue along the path of innovation by filling a few Board Member positions and adding diverse, open-minded individuals to our committees. If you are interested in getting involved with OC YMF, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. A few positions we currently have openings for are:
- Marketing Chair
- Assists with creating flyers for our events and programs in addition to assisting our Social Media/Communications Committee.
- Structural Engineering Institute (SEI) YMF Liaison
- Collaboration with the YMF Programs Committee and OC Branch SEI to plan and host one technical event geared to YMF members within the structural field.
- Utility Engineering & Surveying Institute (UESI) YMF Liaison
- Collaboration with the YMF Programs Committee and OC Branch UESI to plan and host one technical event geared to YMF members within the utility and surveying field.
- Geotechnical Institute (GI) YMF Liaison
- Collaboration with the YMF Programs Committee and OC Branch GI to plan and host one technical event geared to YMF members within the geotechnical field.
- Membership Chair
- Assist the President-Elect and Past-President in engaging new members and promoting membership retention.
If you are a new member and/or are new to the area, here are a few YMF programs we encourage you to take advantage of that can help build your career:
- Mentorship Program (Branch/YMF)
- Mentorship Program (YMF/University Students)
- K-12 Popsicle Stick Bridge Competition
- Pathways Academy
- Construction Institute: Bridging the Gap from Design to Construction Series
- PE Review
I am honored to be serving as this year's YMF President and look forward to building a fantastic year of programs with you for our local engineering community.
Melissa Hilsabeck, EIT
ASCE Orange County Younger Member Fourm President
Check out our new OC YMF Logos!